Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Student Testimonials 2014-2015

My reason for posting these is to remind myself why I teach. It's to make an impact on students and know that they have improved their thinking and confidence in my class, as well as themselves as a person. I have to admit also that the students are given an 8th grade English assignment to write to a teacher who had an impact on them in their 3 years at middle school. Some of these students I taught in 7th and 8th grade.

Some themes I'm happy students mentioned, but slightly worry me, is the relaxed environment. I want them to feel comfortable in math class, but obviously not too much where it could become laziness.

Also, humor is important to me. Honoring their ability to be funny and hoping they understand my humor. Also, using humor as a way of managing the class I think helps students feel more comfortable.

One student mentioned that I was fair to all the students in the class and treated everyone with respect. That's an aspect of my teaching that I am constantly trying to develop. Another said that I have a positive attitude. This really motivates and encourages students a lot.

Of course, changing students views of math from one of their least favorite subjects to one they enjoy, is HUGELY important in the quest to foster more growth mindsets. To read that they genuinely looked forward to my class all day, that's what it's all about.

















No comments:

Post a Comment