Monday, October 5, 2015

Day 25: Participation Quiz for Simplifying & Scatterplots

I liked today's estimation. It was how many pieces of candy corn in 1/4 cup. Students used the idea of layers and also some compared it to the cup of almonds. They reasoned that since a candy corn is bigger than an almond, then it couldn't be 28 candy corn. They were spot on. I tried showing their estimates on a number line with the correct answer so they could see how the estimate, error, and answer are related.

Today was my 8th graders first participation quiz, first ever if they didn't have me last year. I went over the study team norms and instructed students to practice writing original expressions, building them, simplifying, explaining their steps, and determining which was greater, if possible.



I had student volunteers simplify using the CPM virtual manipulatives while I was writing their moves on the board and other volunteers were telling the computer operator what to do. Once again, I tried to stress that -(x-2) is x - 2, but in the negative region, so you must flip the tiles up, or distribute the negative sign to get -x + 2, in the positive region.



Then students looked at x on the left and 5 on the right and determine when the left or right side is greater. This went over inequalities with them and got them ready for the equation mat. I also asked who remembered how to graph an inequality like x < 5. Only a couple students in each class remembered from last year unfortunately.

At the end of the period I went over the participation quiz. I wrote down what study team norms students did and did not follow, with quotes of students cooperating, checking each others understanding, and more.

In accelerated, we reviewed how to find slope from a table of values and write an equation. Then they looked at a table of values to see if the lower the odometer reading on a car, the higher the price. These students like to be exact with everything, so the fact that it was a bit ambiguous was interesting to see. Some made comparisons and said well it's true for a majority so in general, yes it's true. Also, students were thrown off by the 2 box plots. A few students realized that the data couldn't be compared. Some thought to put them on top. I said, if they lined up, would they be the same car?

This is the part of the course where students will learn about scatter plots and the Pythagorean theorem, 2 topics that are in the 8th grade curriculum but skipped over and saved for this year. It's a fast paced year! I didn't get a chance to do a participation quiz, but I did visibly randomize student groups.

Oh yeah we got our new school ids. My first one not wearing a tie. 


1 comment: