Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Day 26: Solving Equations & Simulated Experiments w/ Scatterplots

The estimation was how many pieces of candy corn in the large bag. Students used the reasoning that there's about 40 scoops of the cup in there, and 19 in 1 scoop, so 19*40. This was the type of reasoning I was hoping for. I also pointed out students that rounded 19 up to 20 before they multiplied. This is perfectly fine when finding an estimate.



Students started solving for x. They basically got through two complicated problems. As I circulated I asked probing questions. With 15 minutes to go I had a student operate the virtual algebra tiles on my computer while I wrote on the board and students contributed to the discussion.



The major breakthrough was isolating x by ADDING balanced sets of 2 positive unit tiles to get x by itself. Than you can visually separate the x tiles into equal groups on one side and the unit tiles into equal groups on the other side. I also Showed how adding 2 to the -2 makes a zero pair, which can be shown algebraically by circling it, and stressing that to maintain balance it must be added to both sides.

Once again, I used the analogy of fingers up on each hand. I said put up the peace sign on your right hand and one finger up on left hand. Which hand has a greater amount of fingers? Right. So, if we add 2 to each side, does it change the right hand side being greater? Tomorrow I will reiterate this with equal fingers on each hand and the same being added to each hand. I will also introduce my eating contest analogy, which I still have not blogged about.

In accelerated, we reviewed describing association between two pieces of data on a scatterplot. They worked on the 5 simulated plant experiments from Chapter 7 7.1.3 in CC 3. Students initially answered yes or no for their hypotheses, and I had to prod them that in science and math a hypothesis is not a yes or no answer. It's a statement. I'm glad I caught that.

Then students analyzed team 1 on their own, then were assigned a poster. I encouraged them that it didn't have to be perfect. We needed the data graphed and visible from across the room so the whole class could analyze it. CPM gives a sentence starter "As _______ gets larger then ______ gets _____." Or they say "There appears to be no association between _______ and _______." They worked fairly efficiently, but they didn't get to the last problem, so they'll finish that up tomorrow and start on lesson 7.3.1 with more scatterplots.

No comments:

Post a Comment