Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Day 30: Solving Equations on Whiteboards, Patterns & Frequency Tables

So yesterday was a PD day so students had a 4 day weekend.

The estimation was a good one today, what is the total length of a roll of toilet paper if we know there are 425 sheets. I liked students that estimated how long one sheet is in inches (3 or 4 inches) and then multiply that by the number of sheets. I even had one student use centimeters which gave a great opportunity in 4th period to discuss centimeters in a meter, because the answer was given in feet or meters.



After looking at some of their assessments I was very concerned with their understanding of solving equations. It almost seemed like an all or nothing, not much middle ground. So, I asked students to practice solving equations a through f of problem 2-75 over the 4 day weekend. I put the answers on the board and picked a simpler equation and a harder equation to go over. Basically I wanted students to use an equation mat if they didn't know how to start. Raise their hand when they got an answer and I can say yes or no. If yes, turn it over. If no, re-work it, or I gave specific feedback on what they did.



I think students are motivated when using whiteboards and I can instantly see who gets it and who doesn't. It's great formative assessment. Then students copied down figures 2, 3, and 4, of a tile pattern, and drew figures 1 and 5 based on the pattern's growth. They then described what Figure 100 would look like. I was happy to see that students were able to work backwards.

Homework is 3-4 to 3-9.

In accelerated, we took a survey to see any association between playing a musical instrument and playing an individual or team sport. Instead of starting with a hypothesis, I should have had students come up with their own conclusions based on the data. The hypothesis students came up with is if you play a musical instrument you are more likely to also play a sport. This hypothesis ended up being supported with the data. I got this lesson idea from illustrativemathematics.org.



Then students worked on making a relative frequency table based on the heights of corn stalks in sandy or clay soil. In the future, I want students to come up with their own 2 yes or no questions for their classmates to see if they can make an association between two questions like we did in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment