Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Day 54: Tile Patterns with Figure 100 & Elimination (Bonus: Wheel of Theodorus)

Today's estimation was the dessert dish. It was surprisingly similar to the capacity of the soda can.

We reviewed how the last 2 days students made posters making connections between tile patterns, a table, a graph, and finally a rule. I reminded them that finding a rule is easier when you can see the figure number in the pattern and figure out what Figure 100 would look like. Today is day 1 of my favorite lessons, 4.1.2, tile patterns.



Students completed Figures 0 and 4 for four tile patterns, shaded the growth, and attempted diagrams at figure 100. They worked independently for 8 minutes and then with their groups for 10 minutes, then we had a whole class discussion and I selected students to share that probably wouldn't voluntarily.

When students discussed the growth of the tile patterns, I wanted them to improve the precision of their language. I asked them to use the word diagonal. I also asked what's the difference between column and rows? 7 kids in each class raised their hands, and said columns go up and down. I showed them how rows are like rowing a boat, you go side to side. Columns are like Roman architecture.

Tomorrow we will discuss the similarities and differences in the tile patterns, as well as fill out the tables and graph them on a properly scaled graph.



In accelerated, students were introduced to the elimination method to solve a system of equations. I needed to prompt some students what we do after we find out what x is (plug it in to solve for y). I asked some students if it mattered which equation you used (no). Then I said are you done when you found x and y? How do you properly write your solution? (A coordinate). I asked them why. They said it's a point of intersection between the two lines.

Then I had Michael present his solution method for a problem with a fish catching competition where your given the weight of each fish and the total weight caught. Then it tells you that you gain 2 points for bass but lose a point for trout because they are endangered and the total points earned. He presented a complete solution and we gave him a 3 second clap. They also saw how they could multiply an equation by -1 so that when you add it terms would cancel out.

The students that were not on sojourn were assigned the Wheel of Theodorus from Yummy Math. Some of them turned out really awesome. I especially liked the psychedelic black and white spiral, the snails, and the ancient extinct animal that I forget what my student called.


No comments:

Post a Comment