- It takes me 3 hours to paint a house. It takes you 5 hours to paint a house. How many hours does it take us to paint the house together?
- How tall would a tower of 100 red solo cups be?
- Yolanda and Yoko ran in a 100-yard dash. When Yolanda crossed the finish line, Yoko was 10 yd behind her. The girls then repeated the race, with Yolanda starting 10 yd behind the starting line. If each girl ran at the same rate as before, who won the race? By how many yards?
- If you have a full glass of water and pour out half, then add half of what you poured out, then pour out 2/3 of what you now have, what fraction of the glass is full?
- Thomas is reading a 255 page book. He needs to read twice as many pages as he has already read to finish the book. How many pages has he read so far?
- Alphas increased by 40 percent equal Betas. Betas decreased by 30 percent equal Gammas. What percentage of Alphas are Gammas?
- The fire department was training rookies. 2/3 of the rookies were partnered with 3/5 of the experienced force. What fraction of the firefighters were partnered?
- Last weekend I was watching leaves fall from a tree. I noticed an interesting pattern. The first minute, only one leaf fell. During each passing minute, the number of leaves that fell was equal to the total on the ground plus one. If the pattern continued, how many leaves fell during the 12th minute? During the 24th minute? How many leaves would fall during the nth minute.
- How many degrees does a minute hand of a clock turn through from 6:20 am to 8 am on the same day?
- What fraction is yellow?
- Silent Board Game with percents, decimals, and fractions
Sunday, February 22, 2015
Saturday, February 21, 2015
Reply to this blog post with your answers posed at the end of the video. I feel this is an informative video that breaks down some often misunderstood vocabulary.
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Quotes from a participation quiz. Students prefer multiplying by .5 to represent scale factor and more need to make the connection that multiplying by one half is the same as dividing by 2.
This was chapter 6 of course 3 cpm similar figures.
Saturday, February 7, 2015
Everyday during the last 2 minutes of class I require students to reflect about what math concepts they learned that class period and sometimes provide a specific guiding question. I got this unprompted after a lesson on angles in geometry.