Monday, March 7, 2016

Day 115: Estimating %/degrees, Exponents & FAL Poster Feedback Re-engagement

Before my class started I substituted for our 7th grade accelerated class (Mrs. Alibhai's students) at the beginning of their first period and did a number talk sort of warmup. They were given 6 numbers to make 913 using any operations. About 4 students came up with a solution, and I challenged students to write it out so the order of operations could be followed. They shared their reasoning at the board.

I loved today's series of 3 estimations. Students estimate the percent and degrees of the fruit pie that was eaten. Some students nailed it on the dot, and I liked hearing students thought that 1/6 of the pie was eaten, so the whole pie would be 100% or 360, so 1/6 of 360 is 60 degrees and 1/6 as a percent is 16.6 repeating or 17% rounded. They were delighted to see the video of Mr Stadel measuring it with some computer software.
I like how this student didn't even need any parentheses on the right. The student on the right had very similar idea as his classmate. The student on the left had similar strategies that I did.
I shared my method last and pointed out that when I saw 913, I wanted to make 13 quickly so I added 6 and 7 at the beginning. Then I worked around to make 900. I also reminded this class of the study team roles.



Here is an example of a finished FAL graphing quadratics poster. I already removed the post it note feedback during this picture.
I had to keep writing the classwork problems over again, so I made cards for them so that I didn't have to rewrite them.
Students love decimals. Fractions here are key to see the relationship between 10 squared and 10 to the negative 2nd power.
Here are the problems students had to use the zero property to solve. Robert on the left used generic rectangle and a diamond to factor it, after subtracting 9 from both sides first, a step that I checked in with all groups about at the beginning of class. No one did the middle because they could explain why it was easy from their seats. I liked how a student described solving (2x+3)=0 by saying the opposite of 3, divided by 2. Great mental math explained.
I was tutoring a friend for the CSET multiple subject math test and this question came up. It's so similar to Mr. Stadel's File Cabinet sticky note task that I worked that task with him right after and he nailed it!
Below is the lesson I will use with my accelerated class to re engage with the posters they worked on, and to analyze what makes feedback the most productive and move students learning forward and feedback that doesn't do much, but means well. Students will write down the success criteria and re engage with it out the door. The feedback form from my WestEd Formative assessment course can be viewed here.



No comments:

Post a Comment