Sunday, March 20, 2016

Day 124: Identifying functions & Solving & Graphing Inequalities

Today's WODB from Erick Lee provided plenty of great discussion points periods 2 through 5:
I wanted to see how students used the academic language of fractions when describing which one did not belong. In one class we almost went too long with it, so I think I'm going to have to try to set a timer for it if I want to keep it as the warmup.
Most students mentioned that 5/3 was an improper fraction, and I mentioned that improper makes it sound like there's something wrong with it. I emphasized that there's nothing wrong with it, it actually can make it easier to work with at times. 
 I asked students what exactly is an improper fraction? Some said the numerator is larger than the denominator. So I asked them that all improper fractions are greater than what number? 1.

I liked that they said 2/10 is only one not in simplest form. I reminded students that that means it can't be reduced to an equivalent fraction. I love that a student noticed 2/5 is the only whose reciprocal can be written as a mixed number. Seeing them test their ideas before sharing them was great to see.

Students took notes last week on identifying functions represented as tables and graphs. I introduced vertical line test last Friday. Since it was 2 day lesson, and I wanted students to practice more interpreting, we used the pre-Common Core Algebra 1 textbooks. I got the idea from Ms. Demailly because she had assigned HW out of it. By the way I'd be open to suggestions on how else to introduce and reinforce this concept.
For accelerated, we discussed these parabolas WODB (thanks Mary Bourassa and WODB.ca):

I liked that students noticed the top left was the only one with a line of symmetry on the y-axis and a positive and negative x intercept. One student noticed bottom right stops because it has no arrows. His peer built off that idea and said that because of that it will never have a y-intercept. The one thought I added to "only one with its vertex on the x axis" was it was the only one with an odd number of x-intercepts. I also like how when a student mentioned bottom left was only one that opens up, another student added it therefore it is the only one that has a minimum.
Before students started the class work, I asked them how to graph x>1 and x<=-3. They thought about it, then students told me to make a number line, make a boundary point that was open on 1, arrow right for x>1. I also reminded I wanted 1 number to the left and right of the boundary point labeled. So, for x<=-3 they said put -4,-3,-2, and a closed boundary point on -3, arrow shaded left.

They practiced reading number line graphs, solving 2 step linear inequalities.

overall, great ending to the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment